I don’t remember exactly, but I think I arrived to programmingworkout.com web through one person I follow on twitter (but I can’t remember who, sorry). The idea looked to me very interesting, and I decided just to sign in. I completely forgot about it, but last week I received an email from Michal Taszycki (@mehowte).
In this email, Michal challenges me (and 500 others) to complete three tasks:
- Collect at least 10 goals: write down anything you want to achieve
- Think about a vision: imagine a vision of your future self
- Connect with others: friend/follow/meet at least three strangers
So, to complete my first task, here there are the list of my ten goals I want to achieve in a near future. Some of them are not very specific or follow the SMART principles, but I have something to start with.
- Master command line tools (specially, *nix command line)
- Learn some shell scripting language: windows shell, unix shell, awk, whatever
- Proficiency with type writting
- Know more IDE shortcuts (I use eclipse in my daily basis)
- Learn more about design patterns
- Regular expressions
- Practice groovy/grails programming language
- OOP principles (SOLID, pdf summary)
- Practice TDD
- Learn how to use vim
The second task is to imagine a vision of my future self. I didn’t think about it too much, so I don’t have a clear idea. It should be something like being a good professional developer, contributing to open source projects, participating in an excelent team of professionals, or something related. But, it is still too vague to describe it.